Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Hi gang!

First off, hoping everyone is safe, has power and is warm. Unfortunately, at least two of our CSA members that I’m aware of are still without power - Sonam Kushner, has escaped to Brooklyn for warmth, and Karen Rubino at least has a generator but still... And I’m sure there are others out there in the same spot. May LIPA smile down upon you and give you power!

Today, Monday, is the first day I’ve had to download and look at emails since last Monday morning and about 2,000 came in. In its infinite wisdom, my computer decided it needed to download all 2,000 again. I was afraid it would do it another time but at least I only have doubles of everything and not triples.

We were at the CSA last week at the UUFH with no heat or light (but we had flashlights and some folks brought them just like I asked…go you!  ) and about ¾ of us made it in and everyone was in good spirits and we got some food that could either be stored (Winter Squash) or used raw in a salad (we actually still had Tomatoes!) and nothing really needed refrigeration (or you could keep it in your garage or basement to keep it cool…cars are now getting too cold with freezing overnight temps).

The UUFH building now has light and heat but who knows what will happen Thursday AM when this next storm is over. Regardless, I imagine Farmer Bill will show up with food and we’ll be there for everyone to pick it up.

Again, my power may go out so I might not be able to communicate to you with the list for the week (I only got it on my cell phone on Thursday after I was able to charge the dead thing up somewhere and when I magically could connect with voicemail which had been difficult, if not impossible, to do, but still couldn’t email it), or about anything else once the storm starts.

Our CSA could use one person to work from 3:30 to 5:30pm, and two people from 5:30pm to 7:30pm. I don’t know if Judi, our CSA work coordinator, has power to communicate with me or anyone else by email. If you could help out at the CSA this week…call my home phone ASAP (631-421-4864) before it punks out (maybe it won’t but…), reply to this email but unless you get a response, I might not have gotten it, or just show up a little before 3:30 or 5:30 and offer to help.

Best wishes to everyone, and hope you’re able to go and vote!
suzanne
631-421-4864